Your Hitchhiker's Guide to the Postgres
- How to begin
- Choose your own adventure!
How to begin?
- Postgres doc is huge
- 420 tables, but only 3 figures
- Different formats (html, pdf, man)
What is Postgres doc?
- Written in PostgreSQL git repo
- DocBook (xml)
- built with bison and flex
Doc page about the doc
Doc how to build the doc
By 1996, it became clear that the name “Postgres95”
would not stand the test of time.
Besides the documentation, that is, this book, there
are other resources about PostgreSQL:
- Web Site
- Mailing Lists
Choose your own adventure: Postgres DBA
What do DBAs do?
- Server setups
- High availability
The DBA's absolute guide
Other interesting nuggets
Choose your own adventure: Software developer
What do devs need?
- How to run queries
- Details about datatypes
- Details about included functions
- Details about SQL features
- How to write stored functions/procedures
Choose your own adventure: database user
What does a database user need?
- A good SQL client
- Help on queries
- Help on performance
The user's absolute guide:
- psql documentation →
- That's all 🦄
So long and thanks for all the fish!